Tuesday 11 August 2009

All the last bits and pieces

Well Dominic and I listened to about two hours worth of the learning Italian CD. It went okay, but I do have an unnatural aversion to learning languages. I don't know why. I find it quite difficult. I am going to listen to it again today again...see if anymore sinks in. Dominic has been for the past 6 years so he has a basic understanding of Italian anyway. But bearing in mind I only have a week tomorrow (yay!) I really should make more of an effort. I suppose I've been putting it off...I mean I decided to make my car into an Art Car, and I managed to re-read New Moon and I've designed the embroidery for my sister's wedding dress and the invites...I must learn how to get my priorities in order!!

I have managed to piece together all of my toiletries, unmentionables ready for packing. The clothes will have to wait until Monday night I think. I did go to a bootfair last week tho to find a light jacket for the evenings, a cardie and some long shorts and bonus, I found them all!

A denim jacket for £2, a leopard print cardigan for 50p and some really nice white cut off trousers for a £1. Bargain central!! I've also invested in two pairs of sandals (which is not really normal for me) for the less walk walk walk days...and for evenings. I've still got my scarves I bought last year, so I will be taking them for the church visits. My bottom seems to have grown over the year though, so I have no jeans to wear (hopefully it will be too hot) and only a few pairs of trousers. Not that i need to worry as Uncle and Auntie don't mind us using their washing machine. It saves on space in the luggage!

Today I thought I'd talk about the Vatican and its museums. It is my favourite part (cliche I know) and this year our visit will fall upon the last Sunday of the month, so entry is free! Not that I would mind paying, because it is such an amaizingly full visit...you are not left dissapointed.

It means a very very early start, as it follows logically that people will want to get in free and so queue up as early as possible. The line does run all the way around the walls and you can wait for hours if you are not prepared.

The Vatican Museum does offer tours, however these must be booked at least one week in advance. The Museum and Sistine Chapel tour is € 21 Euro. The Vatican Garden Tour (one of the only ways to get behind the walls of the city) is € 13.50.
Tickets for the museum and Sistine Chapel without a tour are € 12 and are available at the door.

I would love to be able to afford a private tour, however I think it is best to go it alone...The guides were everywhere so, you do get to pick up on a few tit bits here and there!

It is sometimes difficult to be patient when following those ahead of you because it is literally a long queue of people filing through the 'corridors' and hallways. There is soooo much to see though. Everywhere you look there is trompe eloil and you will see so much extravagence and gold and beauty that it will probably blow your socks off!!
I suppose the most negative thing I could say about the visit is that it completely changed Dominic's mind on Religion. Once a practising Roman Catholic, he had some issues with the 'hoarding' of such worldly treasures. I have never looked at religion in this way, so I took the visit as one of Art appreciation. This is us in St Peter's Square. Note that I am wearing a long sleeved blouse, because of the respect issues, no shoulders or above the knee bare... It was a blindingly hot day when we visited, so I also advise taking plenty of water and food, as the restaurants/cafes nearby are over priced due to their location. Obviously don't deny yourself an espresso or two.
I have decided this year to be more thoughtful about my photo taking, as it has been really difficult to name all of the photos as I've been writing the blog. Some of them are too random, so I'm thinking i will have title photos for each visit and be choosy about how many pictures I take in the so many churches.
So we are going to leave that visit right until the end of our holiday. I am so excited!!!

http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_City

No comments: